Thursday, June 28, 2012

Love

The year was 1994, when the world first heard Madonna's Bedtime Stories. By this time, I had already read George Hebert's famous poem, Love. It's a beautiful poem, while you're reading, listen to the song, you'll find it eerily similar.

Love.

Love bade me welcome; yet my soul drew back
guilty of dust and sin.
But quick eyed love, observing me grow slack
from my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lack anything.

"A guest" I answered, "worthy to be here."
Love said, "You shall be he."
"I, the unkind, ungrateful? Ah, my dear,
I cannot look on thee."
Love took my hand, and smiling, did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?"

"Truth, Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame
Go where it doth deserve"
"And know you not," says Love, "Who bore the blame?"
"My dear, then I will serve."
"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."
So I did sit and eat.

-George Hebert
Madonna's song Love tried to welcome me from her Bedtime Stories Album (1994.)

No comments:

Post a Comment